About Central Florida Gardener

Welcome and thank you for visiting Central Florida Gardener. Florida is a unique state in which to garden. It can be frustrating but also rewarding for gardeners who persevere. This blog was created as a resource for Florida gardeners, both new and experienced, in search of information specifically for Florida gardens.

You are invited to participate by leaving your comments, suggestions, tips and recommendations relevant to Florida gardening - don't be shy! Thank you for dropping by to learn more about gardening in the Sunshine state. I look forward to hearing from you! Susan

Thursday, October 08, 2009



Upside Down Tomatoes! Yes or No?

Those snazzy upside tomato planters, such as the Topsy Turvy, seem to be all the rage these days when it comes to growing tomatoes. But do they really work?
I purchased a homemade planter for $10 from my local tomato guy , who grows and sells seedlings of 100 different varieties several times each year. He’s a great guy to have in town because I can try different varieties every season. I dropped by his nursery to pick up a Black Cherry tomato but the only ones left were in these upside down baskets, so I decided to give it a try.

His baskets look great and seem to be producing a nice supply of tomatoes. Mine (see photo), however, looks limp most of the time and is a little beaten up by the wind. It also hasn’t set much fruit. One difference is that he had all his baskets in rows together and they were surrounded by a jungle of a garden. My planter is out in the open and doesn’t get much protection from the wind. On a positive note, It will be nice to be able to pick up my basket and bring it indoors once colder weather arrives. That’s assuming it’s still alive by then.

The verdict is still out for me, but I’m strongly leaning toward the traditional method of growing my tomatoes in the ground as my favorite. What about you? If you’ve grown your tomatoes upside down, in a container you purchased or made, leave a comment and, let us know your results.


5 comments:

Christy said...

Our upside down ones were very disappointing! I attributed it to my lack of experience...it's nice to know yours had some trouble too :) I've never tried growing them traditionally, so I have no idea if I have a preference.

Anonymous said...

What nursery do you go to get your tomato seeds? Are they in Orlando?

sanddune said...

I tried the upside down tomato and also had disappointing results. I made a homemade container by cutting a hole in the bottom of an old pot and planted a sweet 100 cherry tomato plant. It was growing however the wind bent and broke the stem. Mayby it would work better if you have a more protected area from the wind.

Susan said...

Christy & Sanddune...Well, so far the verdict on upside down tomatoes seems to be a negative one. I would like to hear from anyone who's had a positive experience.

Anonymous...The tomato plants I purchase are from a local guy in Lakeland.

Ted Wilson said...

2 years ago I had tomatoes upside down but they did not produce well...
I guess there were too many plants in my container competing for nutrients.